Keeping them binary gives them "power" I guses...
On most platforms there is just a hashed value on the first line.

In 9i R1 (9.0.1), I was able to replace some param value without changing number of
chars on the
line, and the changes were taken without any problem (HP-UX 11, it was I think). Could
not believe
that it worked. No such luck in 9i R2...

Binary, text, whatever, I will just stay away from him till pfile really goes away :)

- Kirti

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Kirtikumar Deshpande