My experience also on Win2K.  9.2.0.1.0 the file is editable.  On 9.2.0.3.0
results are unpredictable if you edit the file.  I guess that they really
don't want us editing it.

                      Kirtikumar

                      Deshpande                To:      Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      <kirtikumar_desh         cc:

                      pande                    Subject: RE: Why are SPFILEs binary
anyway? (was RE: How to make SPFILE in
                      @yahoo.com>

                      Sent by:

                      ml-errors

                      07/16/2003 11:24

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to ORACLE-L

Keeping them binary gives them "power" I guses...
On most platforms there is just a hashed value on the first line.

In 9i R1 (9.0.1), I was able to replace some param value without changing
number of chars on the
line, and the changes were taken without any problem (HP-UX 11, it was I
think). Could not believe
that it worked. No such luck in 9i R2...

Binary, text, whatever, I will just stay away from him till pfile really
goes away :)

- Kirti

--- "Jamadagni, Rajendra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> it isn't binary on solaris ... pure text ...
>
> Raj

e-mail message is
http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Kirtikumar Deshpande