i dont understnad what you mean by 'SP'. Reads dont get saved anywhere.

you came from a sql server, sybase background or a shareware database background
right? You dont need to lock the table. Oracle provides read consistency. So if you
select from a table at 1AM and the query lasts 5 minutes. Someone else updates the
table at 1:03AM, you will see the table as it looked at 1AM.

what do you mean by SP?

What is your DB background? They are not identical. Table locking is a big no-no in
Oracle. Its unecessary.