You can lock a table

LOCK TABLE table IN    ROW SHARE MODE

LOCK TABLE table IN    ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE

LOCK TABLE table IN    SHARE MODE

LOCK TABLE table IN    SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE    MODE

LOCK TABLE table IN    EXCLUSIVE MODE

After mode you can put an additional clause of NOWAIT depending upon your need, like

LOCK TABLE table IN EXCLUSIVE MODE NOWAIT

After you issue a commit on this table, the lock would be released.

Hope this helps.

With Warm Regards

Siddharth Haldankar

Cisco Systems Inc. ODC