In addition to the DBA_TABLESPACES view which is based on the TS$ table, the
V$TABLESPACE view is based on the X$KCCTS fixed table.  X$ tables are purely
read-only from SQL or any other API into the RDBMS.

I believe that this view came into being relatively recently, in either the
v8.0 or v8.1 timeframe, mainly to support RMAN functionality, I think,
allowing RMAN access to information about tablespaces while the database is
in MOUNT mode.

So, updating the TS$ table would likely turn your database into scrap.

Hope this helps!

Author: Tim Gorman