>>I'm trying to create a table using 'Create
>>Table...As Select...'

>   I don't think that there is any problem here. Specifying the number of
digits is largely cosmetic - consider it as >   a default mask. It doesn't
affect how data is stored inside the tables AFAIK.

> Regards,
>
> Stephane Faroult
> Oriole

The problem is when I try to exchange the newly created table into the
partitioned table - the designers (in their infinite wisdom) have
specified number formats for that table.

"alter table daily_total exchange partition jun_02 with table dt_temp
including indexes"

gives me the error:

*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-14097: column type or size mismatch in ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE PARTITION

Unless I get the column types to match exectly - I can't ask for a change
in table design to remove the awkward formatting until I've at least tried
to get the format to work in the 'Create Table...As Select..'

Cheers
Simon Anderson