> Good! The more the merrier! Welcome to the club.

Oh most definitely.

As I just finished writing a prototype package for assigning MAC
addresses ( we make network stuff - that's a technical term ), I
have endured the agonies of doing hex math in PL/SQL.

I finally bit the bullet and used string manipulation to convert
hex to decimal and do what I needed that way.  Couldn't get BITAND
to work properly on very large integers. Besides, doing XOR with
BITAND in PL/SQL is very painful.

UTL_RAW has an XOR, but it requires RAW values and I didn't feel
like messing with it.

This is all very simple in Perl.

Given a MAC of 000050000AA, with a fixed portion of 00005000000,
it is very easy to determine the variable portion of the address
via $x = 0x000050000AA ^ 00005000000.

Not quite so simple in PL/SQL.

Jared

Author: Jared Still