From: David Wagoner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Physical I/O and databases other than oracle

According to one recently published source*, in a well-tuned database system, the server should be CPU-limited.  The reasoning here is that in a perfectly tuned system, the other bottlenecks of I/O, network, etc. have been eliminated, so the system is then limited by the speed and number of CPUs.

This is an ideal system, of course, and we all know that it is common to have less than ideal numbers of disks or I/O controllers to spread the load.

* "The Art and Science of Oracle Performance Tuning", Christopher Lawson, 2003, p.184.

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions
Web: http://www.arsenaldigital.com

"the most trusted source for
            STORAGE MANAGEMENT SERVICES"

The contents of this e-mail message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this message or any attachment by you is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone (919-466-6700), and please delete this message and all attachments from your system.

Thank you.