That's a nice article. The author could have enhanced it by adding or changing
some wording.

The buffer cache can be flushed with alter system flush buffer_cache. -> ...
instead of using the undocumented alter session set events = 'immediate trace
name flush_cache' in 9i

SQL: Regular Expressions (finally) -> SQL: Regular Expressions; much enhanced
over the less known owa_pattern (see
http://www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/computer/OracleRegExp.html)

Plus Oracle trace collection is deprecated (or gone?) after it's finally
improved to the level of being quite useful (see
http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis1.html)

One of the biggest improvements to me is the datafile reuse across OSes. When
my previous employer outsourced Financials to Oracle.com (and laid off all DBAs
including me incidentally), Oracle had to use Solaris because it was too
difficult to export. All other databases we outsourced are running on Linux
now.

Yong Huang

Author: Yong Huang