Boris Dali
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 10:29 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Thanks a lot for your reply, Cary.

One follow-up question. What would motivate "a chat"
of sometimes 5, sometimes 10-20 'SQL*Net message
to/from client' consecutive wait lines emitted to the
trace file in the following manner:

WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message to client' ela= 2
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0
WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message from client' ela= 678
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0
WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message to client' ela= 1
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0
WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message from client' ela= 3463
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0
WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message to client' ela= 1
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0
WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message from client' ela= 3322
p1=1413697536 p2=1 p3=0

I see this pattern of "message exchanges" before
calling a stored code from the app server (OCI), so
using forward attribution it is a call to a stored
code that it to blame correct?
I can't of course eliminate a call to a stored code
but is there something that can be done to minimize
amount of these 'SQL*Net message...' lines? While the
latency of these waits is low, these 3-5 milliseconds
get accumulated slowly, but surely.

Also does cursor #0 has some special meaning in
traces? I can't seem to create a test-case where I get
cursor #0 emitted for me and yet tracing real
applications I see it all over (like in the excerpt
above)

I guess I have more than one follow-up question :-(

Thanks,
Boris Dali.

#31:c=0,e=261,p=0,cr=7,cu=0,mis=0,r=4,dep=0,og=4,tim=2001475650589

#31:c=0,e=261,p=0,cr=7,cu=0,mis=0,r=4,dep=0,og=4,tim=2001475650589

Author: Boris Dali

Author: Cary Millsap