Hi Dennis,

On average, we load data weekly.  The load time is no
more 40 minutes to an hour.  Like I said, we're small
at the moment.  We're at about 70GB which includes
temp and undo and growing at the rate of about 2GB a
month.

Consequence of a failure has been discussed with the
developers and users.  Developers say that they can
live without the DW for one business day.  The users
don't access the database directly so they would not
be affected.

As far as critical data being lost, well if we loose
the database and we have BCVs in place, we can just
reload any data that is missing from the flat files,
so no biggie there.

Also, I take an export of the entire database after a
load.

As far as how much the sys admin knows about Oracle
well... knows enough from a sys admin perspective that
we can converse intelligently but I suspect still
holds to the old myths about Oracle that have been
discussed on this list.

Appreciate your input.

mohammed

Author: mkb