----- Original Message -----

> > Or how many lock/release per second.  Or some other
> > idea of how efficient it is?
> Depends on the work done between acquiring the lock and releasing it.

Not really.  I'm asking how many lock/releases can be done
before the thing starts putting a serious load on the system.
And if the load it imposes is linear.

> When sessions acquire the same lock (as asked), only one session can do
> the work in a given moment. So, it doesn't scale. There will be overhead,
> but that also is relative to the duration of the work done while the lock
> is held.

So, the overhead is MOL linear?  Ie, if the amount of work is very small
and the number of requests is very high, nothing is gonna suddenly
go South?

> Maybe AQ can help, by doing the work asynchronously in the background and
> so lift the serialization from the primary proces(ses)?

The work is very small indeed. No need to background anything.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
Author: Nuno Souto