----- Original Message -----
> nuno-- what level are you trying to scale it to?

Not much.  A few hundred users, maybe 20 or so may
need the lock.  However, this app may explode in
# users, so I want to make sure I'm not creating
a "monster".

> how long will you hold the locks?

only long enough to pass a key to a servlet.

>I used it last year because only one process could run at a time.

That's what I want, one process per lock.

> seemed to have similiar over head to 'select for update'.

That's weird?  I thought it didn't involve table access?

> If you look at the PL/SQL Packages book by Fuerstein et al(not a real popular book,
> but I like it)... there is a nifty
wrapper for DBMS_LOCK. I based my code off of that.

Ah yes, I know the book.  May not be popular, but I used it a lot
a while ago and it's solid.  Thanks, will look that up.

Cheers
Nuno Souto

Author: Nuno Souto