Mark,

As many of us have said on this forum CITES has nothing to do with
conservation it is a TRADE treaty pure and simple. We must not confuse that
issue. BTW when I asked the CITES Secretariat's Plants Officer attending the
14WOC the question "What are the orchid species that CITES has saved? his
reply was that CITES is not a conservation Treaty but a trade Treaty and
therefore he could not answer that question.

You are correct that the implementing laws are the devil in the details so
to speak, but if we can get the Treaty changed then hopefully the changes
will roll down to the local laws. But first we have to change the Treaty.
Nothing that was proposed at IOCC 2004 had anything to do with local
implementation.

If the inspectors never see hybrids and don't have to process them, then
they will have more time to their other work. There are many things where
self certification is excepted, I would assume something could be worked out
along these lines.

Yes hybrids are excluded but just try and ship a box of hybrids without
CITES documentation. The only exception is for hybrid Phalaenopsis where
each box contains 100 or more plants of the same grex. This exemption is
only a test and is not as yet permanent. From what I understand no one is
using this exemption because they are afraid that they will have their
plants confiscated because they don't have CITES documentation,
notwithstanding what the Treaty states.

As to hybrids from legal plants. As I understand it that has not yet been
adopted by the COP, but is being proposed by Germany at the upcoming
meetings. Notwithstanding, some countries have already implemented this
interpretation of the Treaty.

icones