Hi.

After several days of scouring the libraries and reading the original
descriptions of all likely candidates, I've come to the conclusion that the
Vanda species I saw in Sulawesi recently, and discussed on this digest, is
Vanda arcuata J.J.Smith.

Smith described V. arcuata in 1907 from a Jellesma collection, and it
appears to have been "missing" ever since, so I'm delighted to have had a
hand in re-discovering. The plants I saw vary from the Type description in
several ways: the flowers are larger, the petals wider and more rounded, the
lip narrower, and the colours different (the Type plant had rows of
yellow-brown spots on the lip), but these are minor differences, and none of
these is a reason to doubt that they are the same species. There are not
even enough significant differences to merit describing my finding as a new
variety.

I am still not going to divulge any information about the locality, but I
have now acquired some fresh seed and am making arrangements to distribute
it to people who can put it to good use. With a bit of luck, you'll all be
able to add V. arcuata to your collection in 4-5 years time.

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to