"Gary Wills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> commented thusly:

>I experienced 1 of these phal deaths this year. First, I'll 
>have to say that I really don't think that the pitting and 
>disease symptoms are connected. They may be, but I don't 
>think one causes the other. Now the yellowing I think is an 
>important factor.

Not specifically directed towards Gary, but has anyone with this mystery phal syndrome 
(occasionally referred to as the phal "microfungus") ever sent out leaf material for 
diagnosis by a plant pathologist? We were fortunate in New Mexico to have a plant 
pathologist who not only grows orchids, but worked at Stewart's Orchids when she was a 
graduate student. The state plant pathologist here in AZ was kind enough to accept a 
sample from me just this month, and has tried to culture out a specific organism. 
Neither state has a large commercial orchid producer, but both handled samples right 
in stride.

If it's not a pest (mites), and it's not viral, then control through the use of 
systemic fungicides or perhaps antibiotics may be possible. Robert Pavlis suggests on 
his website that triforine (a systemic amide fungicide) was not curative, but 
prevented spread:

http://www.orchidmall.com/general/microfun.htm

However, the causative agent should be identified before reducing control measures to 
"spray and pray," as is usually the case. Something as pernicious and persistent as 
what is being experienced should be identified and treated in a responsible manner.

Once identified, a systemic fungicide (aliette, propiconazole, thioallophanate, etc.) 
could be prescribed. If the organism proves to be a bacterium, then a culture and 
sensitivity might facilitate selection of a control or treatment.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to