Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
commented on my earlier posting with: "Does your pH meter have a temperature
compensation function ?"

Paul,

You should ask Olga Caussade that question. She's the one with the pH meter.

Personally, I doubt that a temperature compensation button would be much use
unless a really good-condition top-notch model was being used. Having 1 or 2
decimal places on the read-out screen tends to seduce the user into thinking
that the meter is accurate to that number of figures. This is seldom the
case; on most cheap pH meters a reading of (eg) 4.78 could actually be a
true pH of anything from 4 to 6 or (in some cases) even pH 3 to pH 7.

My college uses a large number of pH meters of different designs, quality
and price. When introducing my senior Chem students to pH measurements, I
hand out a different meter to each student and get them to measure the pH of
the same solution. The range of results is quite boggling .... and these are
meters that are properly calibrated and reasonably well-maintained.

If you wanted to accurately measure the very small pH variation in an
aqueous solution caused by altering the temperature by 10 degrees
Centigrade, you would need a high-quality meter that has a twin-point
calibration routine, and this would have to be calibrated with freshly-made
buffer solutions. If your pH probe is the glass type containing a salt
solution, then the probe would need to be in good nick, filled with solution
of the proper concentration, and certainly no salt-encrustation on the
surface.

How many orchid-growing amateurs maintain their pH meters to this level ? My
bet is that the average orchid grower seldom maintains or calibrates their
meter properly, if at all. Hell, most of the cheaper models cannot be
calibrated to an external standard, can they ?

My advice: treat pH-meter readings with scepticism, unless you are REALLY
sure of your equipment.

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore
BTW, Nick was right, I was wrong. During the daytime photosynthesis would
exceed respiration, so plants would  be net consumers of carbon dioxide.