This is faulty information. Orchids can open and close stomata

-----Original Message-----
    From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: 3/3/05 12:33:44 PM
    To: "orchids@orchidguide.com"<orchids@orchidguide.com>
    Subject: [OGD] Question about stomata

    I recently purchased Lance Birk's new Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual. In his
    discussion about watering and watering technique he makes the statement
that
    Orchids have "fixed stomata", and they remain open all the time regardless
of
    environmental conditions. Never having heard this before, I am curious as
to its
    veracity. Does anyone in the group have knowledge about this? I know that
    some orchids are CAM plants, and thought one of the reasons for practicing
this
    kind of carbon fixing was to keep stomata closed during the day and thus
    control water loss.

    Thanks
    Dennis Westler