> ask the source cited in the news story published by the ABC why he
suspects that lyrebirds
> eat orchids ["Zoologist Michael Driessen says work is under way to protect
rare plants
> from the lyrebird.]

The article does not state anywhere that the lyrebirds _eat_ the orchids.
Michael Driessen didn't write the article but he reportedly stated "...and
thought this was because of the activity of the lyrebird".

> By the way, in the news story, the word 'terrestrial' is not used.
> "Rare orchids" and "a rare orchid in the south-west" are the expressions
used.

There are two known epiphytic species in Tasmania: Dockrillia striolata and
Sarcochilus australis. Neither species is rare so a logical assumption would
be that the rare orchids referred to are terrestrial.

Please don't feel the need to defend the article, Viateur. You found a link
to an orchid-related news item and some doubts were expressed about its
veracity. You have posted quite a few orchid related news items which I
think many/most on the list would get enjoyment from. I don't think they
would mind if the odd article didn't quite add up but it's important to
clear up any misunderstandings.

Cheers...Steve