They mention seaweed as a physical part of the medium? Or as an adjunct to a fertilizing regimen?

I've heard of seaweed extract as an adjunct to feeding. Supposedly there are plant hormones from the mashed up seaweed that aid growth. If you were to google Ascophyllum nodosum you'll find pages on the rationale behind its use.

Alan Koch was the first person I knew to use seaweed extract. I *believe* he cites Marschner ("Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants") as to the effect of phytohormones in plant growth. (But I could be mis-remembering the cite)

I have been using seaweed extract with each feeding since late 2004. The plants have been doing better, but that's probably because I've been taking care of them. A more meaningful recommendation would come from someone who already grew marvelously and then showed better results upon use of the seaweed.

K Barrett
N Calif, USA

A copy of the IPA journal mentions sea weed as an ingredient for a phal
gowing mix. Any background regarding such use?  Am also puzzled by the
low nitrogen level of the MSU Fertilizer Mix. Seems many publications
have favored at least twice the level. Any publications support this mix?

                                Merrill Speeter