Gene Howard asked about Silca in Cell Walls.  Bob Dressler in "Physiology and Classification of the Orchid Family" discusses the inclusion of silica bodies in orchid cells  sheathing vascular bundles as a presumed reinforcement of orchid tissue                         [pp 23,25]. However I was surprised to learn from the municipal water processors that Miami  tap water is loaded with dissolved silica, making it questionable what advantage it is to add additional silica as silicate to our orchids. When I clean pots with bleach, a source of Calcium, many of the pots are covered with an acid insoluble white material which cannot be Calcium Carbonate.and is presumably Calcium Silicate.  Why would I want to deface my pots by adding more silica to my orchids? I suspect, as long as no valid experimental  evidence to the contrary is available, that the hardening effect on orchids of silicate supplements is just another horticultural myth.        Bert Pressman