Ed,

Some question about Merit are you using it as a
liquid or Wetable power, and where are you
getting it from? It sounds interesting with its
very low LD50 of about 2000 mg /kg. I like to
have a variety of insecticides available to me
and this sounds like one I want to add to my
collection.

thanks

Tom Hillson

>Anyone know if Orthene Systemic (9.4% Acephate) is harmful to Paphs and
>Phrags?
>
>Jerry in IN "
>

>Hi Jerry,
>
>I've used 97% Orthene soluable crystals for
>years without problem.  These are crystals that
>you dissolve in water and spray and/or irrigate
>your plants with it.  However, the product you
>mention is 9.4% Orthene.  Is this a liquid
>product?  If it is, and its in a petroleum
>carrier, you could run into trouble.  Its not
>the Orthene that can cause problems, but the
>petroleum carrier.  Since you live in Indiana,
>you can probably find the 97% or 75% Orthene dry
>crystals at your local farmer's cooperative.
>Down here in the southern United States its used
>to kill fire ants.  This stuff does stink very
>badly in the dry form and it is a poison, so use
>care.  I've switched over to the insecticide
>Merit myself.  Its a systemic that seems to work
>better than Orthene and no stink.  A new product
>on the market that is highly recommended is
>Bayer Advanced Garden Insect Killer which
>contains Merit (imidacloprid).  It is labeled
>for use on nearly all ornamental and potted
>plants and the labeling suggests it can be safe
>to use around the home with care, and protect
>any aquariums.  It can be found at nearly any
>retail garden outlet, in a ready to use blue
>spray bottle or in a concentrate.  It works
>really great.  Price is about $5.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ed Merkle
>Merkle's Orchids
>1008 Maplewood Place
>Nashville, Tennessee  37216

>FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar –
>get it now!

--Tom