Dear All-

I have tried Neem Oil with some mixed results. Although described as a "safe
insecticide" there is an immediate assumption that because it's natural it is
harmless. The odor of neem can be a strong irritant to some people and can
especially irritate sinuses and eyes if there is prolonged exposure in a
confined area. People who have problems with chemical sensitivities on their
skin should take precautions as well. I have also seen people react to the oil
if it has been allowed to remain on the skin for periods of time.
The active chemical in Neem has been supposedly extracted and is sold in some
commercial insecticides (eg. Azatin) When Azatin was used there were some
plants that exhibited phytotoxicity over time. It is unsure whether it was
because of it being an oil or the chemical itself. Some plants with thin leaves
(Phaius, Calanthe and some Lycaste) didn't particularly enjoy it either. It was
certainly something that was very noticeable in periods of higher temperatures.
In my professional opinion the results were mixed for controlling mealybug and
broad mites. I find that there are many other "safe" insecticides that are just
as effective. Even something as simple as a solution of a detergent/dish soap
provided similar and in some cases superior results than neem did.

Marc