For the past three years, I have used one HAV-A-HART trap placed strategically between my orchids and tomato plants.  It works.  When I trap a squirrel, I take it LIVE to a cemetery where I release it.  Many nut trees.

I also have a terrier who often sleeps near the trap.  Good deterrent.

Before the trap, I had two greyhounds who kept the yard vermin free for years.  I had neither squirrels nor rabbits!

My current problem?  Large birds tipping the bromeliads in pursuit of water.

A greenhouse would be nice......

Steve, how many [OGD] forum members does it take to rid the outdoor orchid growing area of vermin?  I shudder to think......

--Stitz