Rather a pompous posting from Gabriel Stowe, typical of someone who knows little about judging orchids. Yes, I do agree with the voracious reading and seeing as many orchids as possible. But to get rid of all orchid judges at 70 years of age? If you judge a bit, you would know that some are incompetent at 37 and others like the venerable Ernest Hetherington is a vital contributor in his late 80's! I believe the current Chairman of the RHS Orchid Committee is well in his 70's and he seems right up to the mark to me.

As for statistical ability, we are evaluating beauty and I fail to see where anything beyond a rudimentary knowledge of simple mathematics is required. I have found a developed "photographic memory" to be invaluable but I think this is something you are born with and this means that those folk less blessed who wish to be judges, must work even harder at their reading and other forms of orchid knowledge accumulation.

Some judges are obsessed with finding reasons not to judge or award an orchid flower whereas I believe judges should train themselves to recognize beauty and improvement and lift these plants up.

In my limited experience of judging with color blind judging students, I have felt they find the judging process very difficult, even those who are considered partially color blind. Maybe someone who is an expert in this phenomenon can add to the discussion?

Andy Easton