"Angelic Nguyen's orchid obsession
"Orchid Design" banner...
downtown San Jose bungalow...

hobby... memories of her homeland, Vietnam. It's expanded now into what
Nguyen, 47, describes as "a four-person business...

Nguyen's Orchid Design will, for the first time, be among 50 vendors
selling, competing and advising for the 56th annual Pacific Orchid
Exposition at Fort Mason Center...

She loves... things others don't grow as much here: the large cattleyas,
large vandas, really spectacular things.
"I like them beautiful, showy and fragrant," agrees Nguyen, who, truth be
told, has a hard time parting with her favorites in the interest of business.
in Vietnam, she had an uncle who owned an orchid nursery, where she'd spend
her after-school hours painting images of the flowers on silk in
watercolors. Often the silk would be used to make beautiful dresses, but it
was also coveted for display as art.
..
Angelic had brought some of her silk work...

"I would come out here, and suddenly all the stress is gone," she says. And
suddenly the few hundred orchids in the greenhouse multiplied into several
thousand, nestled on the front porch, behind the greenhouse or under four
large canopies in the yard.
She'd won medals as an amateur in several shows and had penetrated the
inner workings of seven or eight orchid societies by contributing design
work to programs and newsletters, and her artistic eye to judging panels.
Nguyen comes back from every show with a carful of perhaps as many orchids
as she left with - just different ones. Her rarest plant is a c[C]ymbidium
Pia Borg 'Flash.' "One bulb can cost a couple of hundred dollars," she says.
orchids; I think I only have a few thousand."

son Nikita... He's shown an interest in hybridizing...

she's still just a small grower excited about showing at the Pacific Orchid
Exposition for the first time.
Angelic Nguyen's work at www.orchidesign.com   "

Regards,

VB