"Can anyone
recommend a slide converter that would make this possible."

If you look on Amazon.com or an online photo shop you will see the
Opteka Digital Duplicator.  I bought one for $49 and was surprised at
the quality of the reproduction.  You also need a digital SLR, like a
Canon Rebel, but their 18 - 35mm Lens, works well.

Probably a hobbyist in your area has one of these as their price is
very reasonable these days.  You can certainly scan slides much more
reasonably that way.  I like it because it is fast and I have much
less contrast from the slides than when I use my expensive Nikon Super
Coolscan 5000 which cost $1,200 and requires a degree in technology to
operate..

Archival preservation of slides would probably cost considerably more
than $1.49/slide and even then, you will probably not be completely
satisfied with the results.  I've had some of mine done
professionally, and I can honestly say I have done better myself
working at home on my own computer.

Scanning is only the beginning of the process.  Each slide should be
brought into Photoshop or another editing software for color
correction and removing the splotches and dust from mold and the
copying process.  Slides made with an E-6 process film like Ektachrome
need a lot of restoration because of shifts of color balance and
fading of colors over time.  If the slides are Kodachrome they can
still be vivid after 50 years...  This is usually not included in the
price of scanning.

Kerry