Dear OGD'ers,

I am building a laminar flow hood and it occurred to me that there might
be a difference in efficiency and/or function between vertical and
horizontal laminar flow. The professional models come both ways. Here's
my thinking so far. Please feel free to straighten me out on any point.

Horizontal flow comes from the filter at the back of the unit.

    Can the hepa filter become damaged from inadvertent splash or spray
    from routine, day to day work?

    What happens when you introduce objects into the flow. Is there an
    eddy behind them that can suck contaminated air into the work area?

    Sterile technique requires all work be performed nearest the filter
    with nothing "upwind" so to speak. How easy is this to accomplish?

    How easy is this unit to maintain?

    How big must this unit be to accommodate the filter apparatus?

Vertical flow comes from a filter unit mounted on top of the chamber.

    All of the above questions apply.

My plans are for a vertical flow hood. I have looked at the horizontal
flow hoods and realized I could never get one through my door due to
their depth. In building this unit, I have shaved off about 200 lbs from
similarly sized units without sacrificing any efficiency in flow or
filtering function. It can be taken apart for moving whenever I decide
to build a lab elsewhere. The other reason I decided to build from
scratch is so I can have a brand new filter unit, not one that "appears
to be in working order." Overall cost for this unit without a base
(which will be a table of some sort) is $850 which includes all shipping
and custom cutting of the 1/2-inch cast acrylic materials.

When the unit is complete, I will be happy to furnish photos for anyone
who is interested.

Barbara
http://always-orchids.blogspot.com/