On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM,  <adigg...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Scott Cramer wrote:
>
> "While the article has some unnecessary snark, it's not unreasonable to
> expect this column/section to take the stance it does...and reasonable
> people can certainly disagree about the state of copyright, Fair Use,
> and artistic appropriation/remix/etc/ without loving origami any less.

Just to be clear, I (Chris Lott) said this.

> I agree that the article was a touch snarky and that Ms. Morris' position
> was reasonable and her confusion is probably born of the fact that painters
> play with each other's images all the time, but I must side more closely with
> Lang. A crease pattern wether intentional or not, is essentail to the creation
> of a model and it is possible if one enjoys puzzles (or has masochistic
> tendencies)
> to fold a model from a crease pattern. Tom Sullivan

I'm guessing this is probably not a good forum for this to turn into a
debate, so I'll just note without detail that I don't think Morris was
confused at all... and I don't think the intentionality of the pattern
or its essential-ness to the model from which it is derived is
relevant. I can understand how you see things differently, though!

Chris Lott <ch...@chrislott.org>