On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Garibi Ilan <garibii...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to teach the concept of self similarity in origami.

 (snip)

> Do you have any idea what is the simplest model to demonstrate this
> concept?

Hi Ilan,

It's very simple to create a self-similar spiral from any triangle of
paper-- Tomoko Fuse has explored this construction more thoroughly than
anyone else that I know of, though I don't know whose idea it was
originally. Start with a skinny triangle, and fold a line perpendicular to
one of the long sides. Where that line hits the side across from it, again
fold a line perpendicular to that side as well. Repeat until it gets too
small to continue.

If you're looking for something a little more involved, I have an old model
from 2007 which is similar in concept to the models you mentioned, but
still relatively simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vox2bKkrEyo

--Andrew
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahudson