On 1/9/16 7:18 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I think it is and I have one more question and then I think I can try to
> press ahead: am I correct that the folds *SHOWN* in the diagram [e.g.,
> diagram 4, the great collapse] are the ONLY precreases involved in that
> step?

Correct!

> So that having done the outside, if I identify the relatively few
> indicated-creases inside the central hexagon I can see if I can just use
> *those* to tease the thing to collapse.

Indeed. I just did another one to double check my memory.
Here's the collapse that I do.
Make the indicated creases quite sharp. Esp. the valley folded
interior hexagon (note that it is not the inner most hexagon, but one
hexagon "out".
So I start from the corners and pinch the mountain folds until I come to the
outermost
creased hexagon. As I do this, I keep the center of the model as flat as I can
and
I hold the model in the air allowing the corners to fold down and in. I then
reinforce the creases along the outermost creased hexagon so that they are all
mountain creases too. To my eye, I am starting to create a hexagonal table.
The center part of the model is mostly flat, but it does have an inner hexagon
(all valley folds) that is somewhat depressed/sunken.
The mountain creases coming in from the corner are like the legs of the table
and
as you work your way in, the corners will pivot downward and get closer to each
other.
If your inner hexagon valley creases are sharp, you can work your way around
the model
pinching the outermost sides of the table top together. This will swivel the
legs up
so that the bottom of the model can again lie flat, and you can fold each
corner flap
towards the center. If you look at the crease pattern, parallel to the corner
mountain
folds (which end at the corners of the outer mountain folded hexagon) are valley
folds which end at the mid points of the sides of that same hexagon.  As you
swivel
the legs up, those corners will all fold in to the middle of the model.
The points formed where the corner mountain folds meet the outermost mountain
folded
hexagon will not meet in the middle.

-=D'gou