Hi All,

Jorge asked
>  > Does anyone know of a modular icosahedron with plain faces and a
> strong lock?

It doesn't seem like you've found what you're looking for.  I think I can
help.

I designed a unit several years ago (maybe 2012?) and never shared it with
anyone because I didn't consider it a very good design.   The paper usage
isn't very efficient and since the units are thick, there's a small hole at
every vertex.  But I made a youtube video you can view here:
https://youtu.be/ksCcbZbX2RE

A couple folding comments:

Most modular origami requires 6, 12, or 30 units since the design is based
on the number of edges of a platonic solid.  (tetrahedron = 6 edges,
cube/octahedron = 12 edges, dodecahedron/icosahedron = 30 edges).  This
design does not follow that rule because it is a face unit.  Therefore
tetrahedron = 4 units, octahedron = 8 units, and icosahedron = 20 units.
To make a tetrahedron, each vertex should have 3 units coming together.
For an octahedron, join 4 units at every vertex, and for an icosahedron,
join 5 units at every vertex.

During assembly, be mindful of tab and pocket placement - it may be
necessary to change a tab into a pocket or vice versa as you go.

I don't talk about color scheming in the video, but for those that are
interested: I used four sheets each of five colors and they are
symmetrically placed on the icosahedron (although in the video the yellow
and green look similar, as do the pink and red).  If you connected the
center of each triangle to the other triangles of the same color with a
line, you'd get a tetrahedron, and if you did this for each color, you'd
get five intersecting tetrahedra. (Hi Tom!)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Win