Lest someone be frightened off from writing reports, the reason sworn
statements were required in the incidents that I mentioned earlier was that we
were considered witnesses.  Mine was a defamation of character case between two
non city employees and the other one was a person seeking damages for a fall
down the stairs where there were no eye witnesses but the employee heard the
fall take place.  In both situations the only support we got from the city was
tell the truth.

It is unlikely that there will be a lot of reports in a convention setting.
It’s just that they will be documented in case any further questions arise.

Anyway, the types of incidents which may create problems are likely the type
where there are consequences from both not writing reports and from writing
reports.  Having a code and taking it seriously offers greater protection for
the organizers, victims, and the accused individuals in the rare situations
someone is lying.  And, as Anne said, if the report writer is untrustworthy and
lies, eventually that usually is also revealed through the reports they write
(or ignore writing).   Also, as Anne speculated, eventually the library
designated people who could write the reports although any staff member could
and was expected to take information if a designated writer was not immediately
available.

Again, I am not a lawyer but am writing from the unique perspective of having
lots of years of practical experience.

I am more afraid of the consequences of not writing reports, even without the
support of lawyers and an HR department.

Carol Martinson

Sent from my iPad