"gera...@neorigami.com" <gera...@neorigami.com> wrote:

>In his answer, Dave Mitchell asked me to explain what I mean with
>"friction-based modulars".
>Maybe there's another name for that, but I'm referring to modulars which units
>stay together thanks to the friction generated between them.

I asked because it's not a category of modular designs with which I am familiar.

I can only think of one three-dimensional design ... Paul Jackson's Cube ...
which stays together because of friction. The others I can think of all seem to
stay together because bits of them are bent at angles around other bits, either
inside pockets or outside other layers. I suppose you could consider that a tab
might not slide out of a pocket because of friction but it seems to me that is
secondary to the more mechanical element of the design.

Some two-dimensional designs ... which I am much less expert at ... may fall in
your category, perhaps. I am thinking of things like my 5-part Pentagram in
which the modules are pushed together in the centre and hold because they all
wedge up against each other.

Is that what you were thinking of?

Dave