> > Option 2 is better when you are dealing with application servers,
> especialy
> with Orion. Orion has a very easy built-in connection pooling capability.
>
> When you suggest this method, I assume you are talking about an Orion
> specific mechanism correct? This is convenient if Orion is the only server
> you're using. If you ever want to migrate your app to a new
> server, you have
> to use that server's method or resort to the custom connection pool class
> above.
>
> Have I grasped the situation, or is there a J2EE-based "standard"
> mechanism
> for connection pooling that is portable across application servers?

There is a J2EE standard for connection pooling in the works, from what I've
heard, but it is not in the 1.2.1 release. Personally, I always use a 3rd
party one, for exactly the reason you state: cross-server portability. I
test on Orion and Tomcat, deploy on iPlanet, using different database
engines as well.

Jeroen T. Wenting
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Murphy was wrong, things that can't go wrong will anyway