I've figured out part of my problem (at least I have a workaround):

My entity contains three Date fields. If those fields are not given an
explicit value (something other than null), then the ejbCreate fails. Here
is a partial stack trace:

Nested exception is:
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] SQL data type out of
range
        at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(JdbcOdbc.java:4089)
        at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(JdbcOdbc.java:4246)
        at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLBindInParameterNull(JdbcOdbc.java:444)
        at
sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.setNull(JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.ja
va:303)
        at com.evermind.sql.am.setNull(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at com.evermind.sql.am.setNull(JAX, Compiled Code)
        at
ContentHome_EntityHomeWrapper23.create(ContentHome_EntityHomeWrapper23.java,
Compiled Code)

Something in the system can't handle null dates, even though the table
itself can handle null dates. I guess I could try a different JDBC driver
and see if there are different results, but if I give values to the dates in
ejbCreate, all goes well.

Kurt in Seattle