You know, I do use RequestDispatcher forward method
further down in the code, but use sendRedirect if the
client is not logged in (done==null).  It is the only
place where I use sendRedirect.

Thank you for everyone's excellent responses on the
merits of RequestDispatcher.

However, the issue I was concerned about was the HTTP
session timeouts.  I have the session timeout set to
15 minutes in the web.xml file, but SSL HTTP sessions
seem to time out after 60-90 seconds.

After reading through some the mailing list, I tried
setting my web app to "shared=true" and in the
secure-web-site.xml file and now the HTTP sessions are
working as planned.  (timeouts after 15 minutes).

What are the specific security ramifications of this
setting?

I have a unsecure site and a secure site.  The
unsecure site only has 3-4 pages.  Maybe I should just
make add to secure site and then only have one site?
Perhaps this would clear my HTTP session timeout
issue.

Any thoughts on the security ramifications of
shared=true and insight into my SSL HTTP session
timout issue would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd

--- Magnus Rydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> you are right.
> using a RequestDispatcher only redirects the request
> on the server side,
> wihtout informing the client.
> a sendRedirect() will ask the client to go to
> another page, thus changing
> header info and the whole thing.

getServletContext.getRequestDispatcher(relogin).forward(req,