This was an absolutely huge pain in the bum to finally sort out for me

I finally have managed to get this working using java.exe and the Inprise
ORB

My startup commands running java.exe are

java -Dxml.parser=xerces -Djavax.rmi.CORBA.UtilClass=com.inprise.vbroker.rmi
.CORBA.UtilImpl -Djavax.rmi.CORBA.StubClass=com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.St
ubImpl -Djavax.rmi.PortableRemoteObjectClass=com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.Portabl
eRemoteObjectImpl -Dvbroker.agent.port=14222 -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonCla
ss=com.inprise.vbroker.orb.ORB -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.inprise.vbroker.
orb.ORB -jar orion.jar

To get this working I ended up putting the various inprise jars in the
orion/lib directory. Note that this startup setup completely ignores the
classpath environment variable.

My startup commands running VBJ.exe are

d:\inprise\appserver\bin\vbj -Dxml.parser=xerces
com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer

To get this working I have the inprise jars in the classpath environment
variable.