From: Christof Baumgärtner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 2:51 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: One IP - 3 Sites - 3 Domain Names

"Duffey, Kevin" wrote:

> Actually, Orion has the ability to work with Virtual Domains. I forget
> exactly how this works,

It's pretty easy. Starting with browser versions 3 the browsers included not
only the URI (like it is specified in HTTP/0.9 already) but the full URL
into
the HTTP request. So the full hostname is contained in the HTTP request
header.
Virtual servers (this type of server is often called "software virtual
servers")
can then find out which domain to answer by parsing the HTTP headers. You
can
see the limitations of this neat trick by simulating a HTTP request without
the
full HTTP headers. Just do a telnet to all your virtual servers on port 80
(or
on whatever server the port is running on) and do a GET request for a
document
(for example "GET /index.html"). The answer for all these requests will be
the
same.