Cloudscape (www.cloudscape.com)... works like a charm.

The reasoning?... 5 minute setup, scalable, robust, feature rich and being able
to embed the database into the app server itself gives you performance.

The only thing that I've found is that with jdk1.3, I get some interesting
class loader issues... but it hasn't been important enough for me to figure out
if it's my fault or not for the time being.

My $0.02 worth,
L.