At 11:41 03.10.00 , you wrote:
>Robert Krueger wrote:
>
><snip>
>Are you talking name based or ip based vhosts? what magnus explained was
>that it was a problem with name based hosts sharing one ip address and
>port. for ip base hosts he gave you a solution. you're saying that it does
>work with name based hosts sharing ip and port with apache?
></snip>
>
>Robert,
>
>Well, I guess I don't know if I'm talking name-based or IP-based. I use the
>"virtual-hosts" parameter of the web-site.xml file to specify the domains of
>interest, such as www.domain1.com, www.domain2.com, www.domain3.com, with
>the dns
>server mapping each of these domains to the same IP address, which in turn is

ok, that's name based

>running Orion.
>
>I'm a programmer working at an ISP, and although I don't manage the Apache
>servers
>here, I do know that they have one Apache server with five certificates
>installed,
>and only one network adatper. From that, I'm understanding that the server is
>using only one IP address, on one port (well, two actually I guess, one
>for http,

no, could be using virtual interfaces, i.e. many ip-addresses on one
ethernet card. works on all unixes I know and on NT and is comon practice.
could you check that? I would be very surprised to find that magnus is
wrong on such an issue. he usually knows very well what he's talking about.

why don't you make a web-site.xml for each of the sites each with a
different keystore and mount the same web-application. if I understand
magnus correctly, that's what you have to do.

regards,

robert

>and one for https), and yet the server selects the cert which is
>appropriate for
>the site.
>
>Sorry if I'm being dense about this, but I obviously am just not 'getting' it.
>
>     -Dale

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de