Probably because together is stepping on your system properties.
JPDA debugging is much easier.
When I develop with TogetherJ I use JBuilder to do my debugging(But you could
use many other tools). I have a JBuilder project that includes the Together
project. Then I can debug using the JPDA. Very slick.
BTW Together rocks, but I have never tried using JPDA directly with it. I will
have to investigate that. If I find a way I will post it.