Hey, there is nothing wrong with MS SQL Server and Win2K.  As someone
who is not a professional DBA and has no desire to become one (I like
building things, not maintaining tempermenal third-party software
systems), I find that SQL Server is by far the most pleasant of the big
relational databases (Oracle, Sybase, DB2, Informix) to work with.  The
GUI tools work well, and most tuning is done automagically.

The JDBC driver support is a bit of a problem, though.  Conventional
wisdom 'round here is that the JDBC-ODBC bridge is trouble and should be
avoided in a production environment.  It has native code and it will
lock up the JVM periodically under heavy load.

Someone on this list suggested this type IV driver:
http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/JDBC2/Default.htm

The most basic license is $250, limited to 20 connections, and "may not
be used with the Internet", whatever that means.  Dunno if this
restriction includes code running in an app server.

Here is my data source:

        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.DriverManagerDataSource"
                name="Similarity"
                location="jdbc/SimilarityCoreDS"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/SimilarityXADS"
                ejb-location="jdbc/SimilarityDS"
                connection-driver="com.inet.tds.TdsDriver"
                username="sa"
                password="your_password_here"
                url="jdbc:inetdae7:localhost:1433?database=Similarity"
                inactivity-timeout="30"
                schema="database-schemas/ms-sql.xml"
        />

Make sure you put SQL Server in Mixed Authentication Mode.

And take a vacation already!

Jeff