Hi Rob,

> java -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xdebug -Xnoagent
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=5000
> com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer

>From Sun's JPDA doc / Connection and Invocation Deatils:
"The -Xnoagent and -Djava.compiler=NONE options are not required;
however, for compatibility, these options are accepted and ignored."

So, what is left is:
java -Xdebug
runjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=5000
com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer

Does it make a difference, with regard to debugging, if using -jar
orion.jar instead of com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer?

> note that we use suspend=y

>From the JPDA doc: "True if the target VM is to be suspended immediately
before the main class is loaded; false otherwise."
So in my opion it doesn't help when using an application server and the
method I want to debug isn't invoked directly by its main thread.

> Also, if the .class files were compiled with netbeans it works ok, if
> they there compiled with jdk1.2.2_005 (NT) then they will not allow
> you to put a watch point on a variable (you will not be able to see
> it's contents).

What do you mean by "files were compiled with netbeans"? Do I have to
use the "internal compiler"?

Well, on thing I recognized: The breakpoint doesn't seem to be invoked
when I copied the compiled .class file to its destination under orion. I
had to compile it directly to this directory.

Lars