just search the archives of ejb-interest. this is an faq and you'll find
lots of suggestions. we use the RMI UID generation algorithm in our ejbs
which is OK if not using a cluster (in fact we don't really care about the
likelyhood of a rolled back transaction because of a conflict because it' s
negligible for us and we don't have a problem with that error if it means
every 10000th user might see an error screen, so what?).

regards,

robert

At 16:45 26.10.00 , you wrote:
>Please excuse the typo!  "application-server dependant"  should read
>"application-server independant" !!!

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de