Hiya,

Thanks to the replies. Ta Christophe and Robert! There seems to be some
confusion as to why there are four environments in my last post regarding
the datasources. To short-circuit any more "Why the hell are you doing it
that way?" questions, I will provide a little bit of background.

I have a desktop (Obvious really). So do the suits who work in my section
(Again obvious). My group is but one of many groups. Our DEV environment is
mine, all mine. Heh heh. The test environment is exactly that. A place where
our section deploys just our stuff for testing. Then there's staging. That's
where my section deploys and a whole bunch of other sections deploy their
stuff for testing to make sure there are no interdependency issues. Then we
have production (what the punters see). Luckily our section have our own
private servers there, so interdependencies don't occur. The rest of the
company uses COM/COM+/VB/ASP etc which is why they need to test those
things. And I'm trying to convince my suits to go J2EE. But I'm stuck with
an ASP/VB/COM site at present.

My suits need to get valid info from the production environment. Then they
like to test new ideas and what not on Dev. Then on Test. Then on Stage. So
they want 1 (one) interface that allows them to try stuff out on each of the
environments. So I thought it would be a nice idea if they could use my
"JAdmin" environment on my desktop to allow them to view pages that allow
them to view tables from each of the servers. For example a single page with
"top 10 products by region" for each environment. This implies a single page
that can access each of the environments databases, get the data from the
"product" table from each and format it. It just seemed a tad weird to have
to use seperate apps to access each environment just because the datasource
was different.

I had originally assumed that it would be possible to have a page use a
session bean that accesses entity beans that get that data from each of the
environments. I had not considered that this would be a problem. I was
wrong. I had originally done the page using a servlet and simply accessed
the data via a plain-old-bean that had a "setDatasource()" method and a
"loadStatistics()" method. So the servlet could set the datasource of the
bean to PROD, load the stats, set it to STAGE, load the stats, and so on.

So thanks to everybody who replied. I need to do more reading. **Rant mode
on** Unfortunately I'm in a bind. Moan moan whinge whinge. I get Monday
morning to work on this. Then its back to ASP/COM/COM+/VB/M$Crap Monday
afternoon and Tuesday to fix bugs in production, Wednesday to implement all
the new whizz-bang features for the suits, Thursday to deploy to test and
stage for the testers to break and Friday frantic fixes and deploy to
production. Thus I only get a couple of hours each Monday, my evenings (like
tonight) and the weekend to read. I've been in this industry for 25years.
Sheesh. It never changes. **Rant mode off**

Kimberley Scott
Senior Web Developer
Peakhour Pty Ltd
http://smartoffice.com.au <<- just built. needs work.