Christian,

If you read the JavaMail API docs you saw that putting all of the JavaMail API
jars in jre/lib/ext is the prescribed method for deploying the API. This include
mail.jar, activation.jar, and any providers custom or otherwise. At first I did
not like that much, but it is an extension API, so it does make some sense, and
after using for the last year plus I understand why.

The reason the other jar files have to be in the /ext dir when you try to put a
provider in the /ext is because the classes in the jar files in the /ext
directory are dynamically loaded every time you fire up an instance of the vm.
Naturally when a class is loaded if it can not find classes that it depends on
it will break. This is what was happening to you. The JVM does not know anything
about the stuff in the Orion classpath, so it needs the dependent classes in the
form of jar files in the ext directory.

I have taken to deploying the JavaMail API the prescribed way as it is easy to
remember, and it also makes updating providers easy as you only do it in one
place. It is possible to use the API without installing it as an extension
(Orion does it for portability), but I would not recommend it.

Russ