I had the same problem on Solaris, but it works fine under windowsNT.

Now I found the solution to our problem through one of the emails,
http://www.mail-archive.com/orion-interest@orionserver.com/msg01002.html

You need to copy the visigenic jar files under the [jdk
folder]/jre/lib/ext, then it'll magically work!

Ivan Chang
Lead Developer
Cyber Dialogue, Inc.

I've done a lot of research but I still need some help dealing with class

The bottom line appears to be: How do I use Orion to set a classpath that
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader can see?

Details:
It appears that org.omg.CORBA.ORB is always used to init the ORB - it has
code that honors the orb.properties settings to instantiate the chosen orb
implementation.  OK.

But, when org.omg.CORBA.ORB runs it uses sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader
as the class loader.  I'm guessing that this loader doesn't know about the
vbjorb.jar file placed in \orion\lib, which is why this error results:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: org.omg.CORBA.INITIALIZE:
can't instantiate default ORB implementation com.visigenic.vbroker.orb.ORB
minor code: 0  completed: No
 at org.omg.CORBA.ORB.create_impl(ORB.java:305)
 at org.omg.CORBA.ORB.<clinit>(ORB.java:202)

So, how do I set a classpath that sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader can see?

If it helps make this any clearer here is the relevant code from
org.omg.CORBA.ORB:

    private static ORB create_impl(String className, ClassLoader cl) {
        try {
            return (ORB) Class.forName(className).newInstance();
 } catch (ClassNotFoundException ex) {
     // Eat the exception and try again below...
        } catch (Exception ex) {
     throw new INITIALIZE(                 /* <<<<<<<<<<<<<  line 305 */
              "can't instantiate default ORB implementation " + className);

        }
        try {
            return (ORB) Class.forName(className, true, cl).newInstance();
        } catch (Exception ex) {
     throw new INITIALIZE(