The RoleManager depends entirely on the Useranager implementation that any
given app is using.
(If you decompile RoleManager, you'll find that it calls
Application.UserManager's methods quite often)

Roles in J2EE (RoleManager) map to groups in UserManager.

I use three tables; one has user/password info, one has group definitions
(roles), and another has user/group relations

I will be much clearer once you start coding and testing...

Oh, and whenever an app is first deployed, Orion (thru RoleManager then thru
UserManager) will attempt to create a group
for each declared role in every web.xml & ejb-jar.xml that finds within the
application. That part of the init is automagical...

I've had to make a back-end to the security(to create, edit and remove
security data). You will have to create a user
with access rights to this backend to start(in my case, a user:"sa"
password:"" that was linked to a securityAdmin group).

As a side note, this security is also used to access JNDI, and I haven't
played much with it, but you'll have to check out
the orion-XXXX.xml for namespace tags to enable read/write access to Orion's
JNDI implementation. (Has a lot to do with the getAdministratorUser() in
UserManager)

HTH

Juan Pablo