Yes, it is necesary; there isn't a LDAP based UserManager, and
DataSourceUserManager doesn't provide all the features I need

JP

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Schnitzer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Viernes, 19 de Enero de 2001 20:38
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Writing user managers

Is it really necessary to have your own user manager?

I model my users as entity EJBs.  I use the vanilla
DataSourceUserManager mapped to the same table that the entities are
written to.  All manipulation of user data is done through the entity
beans.  The only trick is that you need to set:

                <property name="staleness" value="0" />

in the <user-manager> block, otherwise entity changes won't show up.

This scheme pretty much minimizes the amount of server-specific code I
have to deal with.

Jeff